The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

jabby's picture

Has my starter gone bad?

July 8, 2011 - 1:41pm -- jabby
Forums: 

I have maintained a stiff sourdough starter (thanks Jared) for the last 1.5 years. I typically only make bread on the weekends and therefore leave the starter in the refridgerator Monday-Thurs. I refresh it 2-3 times before using.

It has performed great up to the last three weeks. My starter has become really slimy. Instead of being easy to handle as a stiff starter should it sticks to my fingers seems overly hydrated but in a slimy way. I've tried cutting back on water thinking I was overhydrating (even though I weight my ingredients) with no avail.

Maudy's picture

Measuring dough

July 8, 2011 - 9:02am -- Maudy
Forums: 

As one fairly new to the baking, I have a question. I would like to know how much dough should make a one pound loaf. In addition, can someone recommend a good scale for measuring dough. I want to make mini loafs (I think they are about 1/2 pound)

Thanks

maudy

swtgran's picture

Judith Fertig no knead bread book????

July 3, 2011 - 6:55am -- swtgran
Forums: 

Does anyone else think the instructions for the liquid in this book are confusing?  I have tried the cracked wheat recipe twice and thought I had made an error the first time.  I put the entire 3 cups of water into the recipe and it was soup.  If I put in only 1 3/4 cups it is still a mess to work with. 

sam's picture

Fidibus sifter

July 2, 2011 - 6:21pm -- sam
Forums: 

Hello,

Today I received in the mail, the Fidibus Sifting module which plugs into my existing Fidibus Medium milling device.   It came with 3 different mesh filters.   It is the coolest (and fun) thing!    (no this is not a paid advertisement for Fidibus...).

A week ago I milled a bunch of hard red wheat at the finest setting on the mill machine, been aging the flour thus far..   and today I sifted it.   I used the finest mesh for the sifter.   

dwfender's picture

Scoring problems

July 2, 2011 - 10:02am -- dwfender
Forums: 

So I've been trying to work on my scoring lately but can't seem to get it in check. I'm using a lame and holding it at an angle as described in the myriad of videos. The problem that I am running into is that, regardless of the dough hydration the scoring always pulls the dough rather than cutting clean through like I see every baker do. I'm trying not to slice and then repeat and repeat and dig further and further into it. Once obviously makes a cleaner more even cut. For some reason my blade just never cuts so. Hoping some might have some tips or maybe methods of practice.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General