The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

kahvecc's picture

Bread Falling After Baking

October 2, 2011 - 4:35am -- kahvecc
Forums: 

Hi all, 

So I'm VERY new to bread-making, but VERY excited about it. I own a coffee shop that just opened where we also have a good lunch business, and I'm looking to save money on our bread by baking it in house. I have baked a few test loaves and the loaf comes out great but within a few hours after baking it appears to fall. I know this is probably a very simple situation but as I said I am quite new. I appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

bshuval's picture

Approximating malted wheat flakes

September 30, 2011 - 11:51am -- bshuval
Forums: 

Hi all,

I have recently taken a liking to malt. I decided to try my hand at making a granary-style loaf. However, I don't have access to granary flour or malted wheat flakes. I can get wheat flakes, and I can get malt syrup, so I thought that maybe a combination of the two might be useful (perhaps toasting the wheat flakes and adding some malt?!). Since I have never tasted granary bread, I don't know what I am looking for... (Another option I've been thinking about is simply using coarsely ground caramel malt). 

golgi70's picture

Portuguese Sweet Bread (Why would I need to Cream Butter and Sugar)

September 30, 2011 - 10:31am -- golgi70
Forums: 

Hey all, 

So I understand why we cream butter and sugar in pastry and confections but I'm a bit confused as to why it may be needed in a bread recipe.

I make a Portugeues Sweet Bread that calls for creaming the butter and sugar, adding the vanilla, and then slowly adding the yolks just as you would for a cake batter or cookie batter.  After this milk, water, sponge, flour, yeast, are added with creamed mixture and we go forward as per most breads.

swtgran's picture

Cobb grill baking

September 30, 2011 - 6:19am -- swtgran
Forums: 

Has anyone ever used a Cobb grill to bake bread?  It seems as though it might work in that grill.  It has a moat that you could put a small amount of water into to make a steamy environment and if you put a small enough amount in, it should evaporate in time to give a good crust.  Supposedly you can get it up to 450-500 degrees. 

We ordered one while it was a special on woot.  We ordered the accessories but one of them is on backorder at the Cobb site so I have to wait to experiment.  Terry R.

kjonyou's picture

What Makes Things Chewy?

September 27, 2011 - 11:34am -- kjonyou
Forums: 

I like a chewy bread and chewy cookies. I have been trying to make chewy cookies based on Alton Brown's Chewy cookie recipe but if I alter the ingredients just a bit, more sugar, more butter, etc I always seem to loose the chewy part.  He uses bread flour which adds more gluten and basically he melts the butter instead of the the usual creaming method.  He claims that bread flour will absorb more liquid from the melted butter making more gluten. 

nicodvb's picture

I'm beginning to tame the durum beast

September 27, 2011 - 1:02am -- nicodvb
Forums: 

I hate durum wheat. One moment it seems it doesn't want to stop absorbing water and few seconds later you find in your hands an unmanageable paste.

I've been trying to bake a decent durum wheat loaf for several months, and after countless failed attempts finally I obtained (twice in a row!) something satisfying.

Rather than using preferments (that always made matters worse for me) I prepared a straight dough with this ingredients:

-500 gr semola rimacinata (13% proteins.... if the seller is to be trusted)

-400 gr water

-10 gr salt

-20 gr butter

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General