The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

General

HappyBreadHouse's picture

Reinhart's Light Wheat Bread: Am I reading this wrong?

January 1, 2012 - 2:46pm -- HappyBreadHouse
Forums: 

Hi Fresh Loaf People...

I received the Bread Baker's Apprentice for Christmas.  I am a long time home baker, but I was interested in trying Reinhart's formulas and (I hope) learning new ideas about bread baking.

The first formula I tried was his "Light Wheat Bread."  This seemed like a simple starting place in his book.

I was surprised at how dry the formula was... 55.6% hydration?  I am used to much wetter dough (65% minumum), but I thought I would try to follow his directions before going my own way.

Schola's picture

The Trouble with TFL

December 31, 2011 - 6:44pm -- Schola
Forums: 

I go to TFL when I cannot sleep - in the peace of night time it is supposed to calm the mind. An hour with a cup of tea and TFL and in theory I can then go back to sleep. Trouble is, that so many wonderful ideas and suggestions get me over excited .....

Schola's picture

Thank you

December 31, 2011 - 6:38am -- Schola
Forums: 

Happy New Year to all at TFL. I've learnt a lot and improved a lot. Still a long way to go and I am not satisfied. My last loaf of the year was a white loaf with added spelt flower. My slashing resulted in a slashed finger - but I live to tell the tale. This time next year - just see what I will have learnt!

Dhull100's picture

Sourdough troubles

December 26, 2011 - 6:03pm -- Dhull100
Forums: 

I have not had this problem before, but it persists and has me wondering if it is my starter. I keep a liquid starter, feed at least once weekly. It still seems to react normally to feedings and smells normal. About a month ago, my bread started having a grayish crust. I thought maybe it was overproofed, but I haven't changed anything, and the problem persists. My whole wheat flour is probably 6 months old but refrigerated. Could it be that? I don't think so, but at my wits end.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I thought it wise to check here before starting over.

Frequent Flyer's picture

A browning mystery

December 26, 2011 - 9:03am -- Frequent Flyer
Forums: 

My sandwich loaves were terrific, but pale despite an overnight stay in the fridge.

I made a variation of Syd's Poolish Sandwich Loaf, but instead of making a poolish, I made the dough directly, fermented it in bulk half-way or perhaps more.  I then retarded the dough.  The next day, the dough had expanded 3 to 4 times it's original volume.  I preshaped the loaves, let them reach room temperature and baked them at 375F. 

Anonymous baker's picture

How to Make Apple Rage Cake

December 23, 2011 - 4:57pm -- Anonymous baker (not verified)
Forums: 

My first attempt at making these apple fritters was an unmitigated disaster. 

Thinking "I know dough", I decided to make the dough the night before. I mixed the dough, let it bulk ferment, added the apple filling (a silly concoction that called for a vanilla bean, sparkling cider, and apple cider vinegar. Oh, the hubris!), and retarded the dough overnight.

Easy enough.

Should work just fine, right?

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Nope!

Schola's picture

I don't want to give up

December 22, 2011 - 6:27am -- Schola
Forums: 

I am due to have a mastectomy early in New Year, but cannot bear the thought of giving up bread baking. Am I unrealistic to think that I could use the stretch and fold technique over  several hours with very little heavy physical work? I've been told to expect tiredness or even exhaustion. But if people can help with the washing up and carrying I reckon I could do something? Any ideas please? 

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - General