The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

ggage's picture

brand new n-50

October 17, 2010 - 3:29pm -- ggage

I am getting tired of trying to find a good used n-50 and am thinking of just ordering a new one. question is a' are the new ones made as well now as in years past ?? I sort remember someone mentioning something about quality . have the bowls changed over the last years?

Also I'm in Canada and know hobart used to make mixers in Canada as well as Ohio ,is or was there a quality difference ?   Thanks Gage

berryblondeboys's picture

Hobart N50 versus Globe SP5

October 14, 2010 - 8:00am -- berryblondeboys

Hobart N50 costs $2000 new.

Has #10 hub - can use KA attachments for hub

Notice it's recs for dough capacity. They don't recommend it for whole wheat dough or heavy doughs or pizza dough. For those, they recommend going up to a 10/12 quart mixer. For regular dough (60% AR). 4 lbs capacity.

If you want to compare better, go to this link and select pdf link: http://www.jeansrestaurantsupply.com/Commercial-Countertop-Mixer-5-qt-Hobart-N50-P840.aspx

berryblondeboys's picture

If a Mixer has a #10 hub for attachments, can you intermix them with different brands?

October 14, 2010 - 6:39am -- berryblondeboys

So, I see KA sells all sorts of affordable attachments. Additionally, you can readily find them used/cheaper on craigslist and ebay - big bonus. Those are a #10, right?

I see that Hobart n-50 uses #10 and so does the Globe 5 quart - can I use accessories from KA on these brands? Especially meat grinder and pasta maker? While I make bread for function/need. I also bake cakes, cookies and I would like to start grinding my own meat and we all love fresh pasta and making it myself is more affordable.

gary.turner's picture

Double wall baking pans

October 1, 2010 - 9:08pm -- gary.turner

I have an old recipe for traditional German black bread (Westphalian pumpernickel), a 100% rye. It calls for baking at 160℃ (320℉), dropping to 120℃ (250℉) over 20-24 hours in a double walled baking pan, all the while keeping the pan filled with water.

Is this some sort of double boiler meant to keep the dough baking at 100℃ (212℉)?

MickiColl's picture

Help with KA stand mixer

October 1, 2010 - 6:38pm -- MickiColl

I tried making Jasons Ciabatta today and 15 minutes into the knead (speed 6) on my Kitchenaid, the pin that  holds the head onto the stand vibrated loose .. actually came all the way off. I have tried in vain to put it back in but can't get it lined up .. it only goes halfway and then hits a "wall". Has anyone had this problem .. or can someone give me any tips on how to fix it ? I live in Las Vegas and talents here just don't run to small appliance repairs, I guess, as there are NO small appliance repair shops in the phone book .. 

Renee B's picture

slicer

October 1, 2010 - 9:06am -- Renee B

I have had some customers express an interest in pre-sliced bread, but I dont move the kind of volume that would warrant one of those very expensive commercial table top slicers.  However, I'm afraid that the alternative, a slicing guide, would not produce sale quality slices.  Does anybody know of a brand of slicer that would not break the bank?

Eidetix's picture

Multiple Bosch mixers on eBay

September 29, 2010 - 9:37pm -- Eidetix

If you're in the market for a Bosch stand mixer, please be aware that a number of them are now up for grabs on eBay. The more of them featured at the same time, the better the deals are likely to be.

Follow this link and take your pick:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1312&_nkw=Bosch+mixer&_sacat=See-All-Categories

csimmo64's picture

What? A Conveyor Loader?

September 27, 2010 - 8:31pm -- csimmo64

Dear TFLers,

I recently [this week] discovered what a conveyor loader is. They seem so... perfect! I would love to somehow attain some of these in a standard full sheet pan size, but where do I go about looking for one of these? A massive google search found nothing, and so did a massive TFL search. What are these things, and where do bakers get them? Thanks.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment