The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

berryblondeboys's picture

I don't understand the marketing of Bosch

October 26, 2010 - 4:27am -- berryblondeboys

If Bosch is so slick and great, why do they only offer it in white in the US? I am getting major mixer envy over the ones I see overseas - red, black, shiny bowl - beautiful! So, WHY, when a mixer is something people tend to leave out on a counter, does Bosch only offer it in stark white to the US market? Probably the MOST snooty country for this stuff of them all. Maybe not, but I think so. Bosch offers more options in their major appliances, so what's the deal here?

Caramel's picture

Need suggestions on mixers

October 25, 2010 - 5:21pm -- Caramel

Hello,

I'm trying to buy a new mixer for bread and laminated dough. I already have a kitchen aid for everyday use, and wanted to buy a good and strong spiral mixers with a reasonable price. I only bake for my family and friends, so looking into 8, 10 or 12 quarts size for 1-2 KG dough. Not sure what kind of brands is good out there, so I need everyone's help. I was looking to Eurodib, Anvil, Univex, globe or Centaur mixers. Does anyone familiar with those brands?

Thank you..

livingdog's picture

Is there a difference in the bread between using a couche, or parchment?

October 25, 2010 - 10:28am -- livingdog

I have learned to use my cloche and really like baking in it now.

Transfering the semi-dry dough to a 500+ degF cloche is not an easy process unless you use parchment. (The parchment acts as a handle on the dough.) But then isn't the parchment going to not bake the bottom of the crust in the same way as direct contact with the cloche would? E.g. I no longer need to add cornmeal... or should I still add the cornmeal?

Robinson's picture

Is this board useable for kneading?

October 25, 2010 - 3:38am -- Robinson

First of all can anyone describe the differences in the wood, such as what it looks like and it's sound when tapped or anything. (The ones that are suitable for kneading.)

I'm not sure what wood it is made from, hopefully it's suitable for kneading! It also has a "polish" on it, will that effect the dough in any way?

Thanks!

coffeetester's picture

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer

October 20, 2010 - 7:43pm -- coffeetester

I have a nice Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I have one of the new scrapping paddles and a dough hook. Almost every recipe I see says kneading by hand. I dont have an issue with this and would love to learn more about it but I cant seem to find a recommended method to use this Mixer. Can someone point me at a good post on how to substitute the stand mixer into baking bread.

KYHeirloomer's picture

Slider Bun Pan Wanted

October 20, 2010 - 6:29pm -- KYHeirloomer

Several years ago I bought a specialized pan from King Arthur for making slider buns. They called it a "mini-bun" pan.

Wanted to experiment before going overboard, so just ordered the one. Within a week I knew I needed at least one more. Alas, it was out of stock and back-ordered. And remained so for many months, until KA apparently dropped it.

So, does anyone know where such pans are available?

berryblondeboys's picture

Update - what to do with this n-50?

October 20, 2010 - 11:28am -- berryblondeboys

It just arrived and I unpacked it and wanted to test it out. The whip attachment was still on, but I could not get it off! I see that it slides down a shaft, and over to the side and slightly up, you do this whille pushing up on the spring mechanism. I've had other pieces of equipment that worked like that, OK, easy enough, but it wouldn't let me undo it because the thing spins and there's nothing to hold it against or to grab to keep it from spinning. Finally with brute force, I got it.

coffeetester's picture

Scale question

October 20, 2010 - 10:58am -- coffeetester

I am new to baking and have a kitchen scale. The scale I have measure to .000 Lb's or to 1/8 of an OZ. Most of the recipes I see call for Grams. Am I ok with this for a while with a conversion chart available or should I go looking for a replacement scale. I would rather spend money on different flour and topping's today and maybe one of those fancy boule proofing bowels. I am just trying to make sure I am not complicating my life by starting with improper equiptment.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment