The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

Lucifer's picture

Automated stretching - folding ?

November 8, 2010 - 5:42pm -- Lucifer

Trying to figure out how to automate stretching-folding as it takes too much labour if done by hand.

This video shows a common design - a sheet of dough is put thru rollers to thin it out and then folded in 1/2. The process is repeated as many times as needed. Quick and simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv24YPH2584

If I do it by actually stretching the dough from a ball into a sheet it retains a lot more air and structure compared to rolling it.

Postal Grunt's picture

Crust Color Letdowns

November 4, 2010 - 9:38pm -- Postal Grunt

After I returned home from my trip to see my parents, I was ready to fire up the oven and try the local flours I had found in New England. Unfortunately for my wife and I, the kitchen stove was leaking a small amount of gas when we got home. A utility worker found the small leak but it was inside the stove and we had to decide whether to fix an older stove or to replace it. I opted for the latter choice and the new Frigidaire stove was delivered and set up the next day.

coffeetester's picture

Visiting SFBI

November 3, 2010 - 10:45pm -- coffeetester

So I am going to either get a friend to stop or spend my lunch time going to SFBI tomorrow.

http://www.sfbi.com/baking_supplies.html

So I was looking at the round baskets near the top (TRA-B10). Since they are pictured with liners do I need to order liners or just the baskets. Does any one have experience with the liners. Do they make a difference.

If I was to order the Linen Canvas is a yard wide enough or should I order 1.5 or 2?

butterflygrooves's picture

What are your bread making essentials?

November 2, 2010 - 3:20pm -- butterflygrooves

No, I'm not talking about ingredients, I mean tools!  I'm fairly new to bread making and although I have the few things I need to make basic loaves, this is going to be a life long addiction in which more tools will be needed. 

I plan on making every kind of bread I can possibly try so what might I need in the future?

What are your essentials?

Jean-Paul's picture

trade ordhids/seeds/starters for a curved blade french lame, a brotform banneton, and a silpat baking mat

November 2, 2010 - 1:04pm -- Jean-Paul

Looking to trade for a really nice curved lame (already have a straight one) a nice wood long/oblong brotform banneton (I already have two round brotform bowls) and a 'silpat' baking mat. Anyone have extras they are willing to trade for something? I have orchids (species and hybrids), heirloom tomato seeds & 10 different sourdough starters to trade! Tell me what you want and we'll go from there! Thanks

berryblondeboys's picture

I don't understand the marketing of Bosch

October 26, 2010 - 4:27am -- berryblondeboys

If Bosch is so slick and great, why do they only offer it in white in the US? I am getting major mixer envy over the ones I see overseas - red, black, shiny bowl - beautiful! So, WHY, when a mixer is something people tend to leave out on a counter, does Bosch only offer it in stark white to the US market? Probably the MOST snooty country for this stuff of them all. Maybe not, but I think so. Bosch offers more options in their major appliances, so what's the deal here?

Caramel's picture

Need suggestions on mixers

October 25, 2010 - 5:21pm -- Caramel

Hello,

I'm trying to buy a new mixer for bread and laminated dough. I already have a kitchen aid for everyday use, and wanted to buy a good and strong spiral mixers with a reasonable price. I only bake for my family and friends, so looking into 8, 10 or 12 quarts size for 1-2 KG dough. Not sure what kind of brands is good out there, so I need everyone's help. I was looking to Eurodib, Anvil, Univex, globe or Centaur mixers. Does anyone familiar with those brands?

Thank you..

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment