The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

dantortorici's picture

Convection with stones, like a deck oven?

June 5, 2011 - 11:52am -- dantortorici

Thinking about getting an extra oven primarily for bread. I like the hearth in deck ovens but also like the capacity, and even baking of convection.

Do you think if I put stones in on a few of the shelves I would get the benefit of the deck oven hearth?

I imagine the stone would be 18x26 just like a sheet pan you might bake on so it wound not interrupt airflow anymore than pans would. Certainly seems like it might take longer to heat up given the added mass, but any other thoughts on  how effective this might work or not?

thx

Dan

fruithead's picture

magic mill dlx 9000 is only 450 watts? worried *_*

May 20, 2011 - 3:36pm -- fruithead

so someone on craigslist near me is selling a very lightly used perfect working condition magic mill dxl 9000. i went and checked it out, looks nice, price is good too @ $230 (the gentleman said his wife always made dough by hand, the magic mill was an experiment, she tried it a few times, decided to switch back to hand mixing, it sat on the shelf for years, one day he looks at it and says "time to go!").

Conjuay's picture

Baking Stone Too Hot

May 11, 2011 - 10:34am -- Conjuay

I put together a propane fired pizza/bread oven from a used Bar-B-Que.  My first attempts indicate that the stone is getting much hotter than the upper half of the oven. Pizzas will get a bit of charring underneath while the cheese on top has hardly bubbled. Baguettes will hardly brown while the bottom is over crisp- bordering on hard.

There is space around all sides of the stone, approx 1.5" to 2", so the heat should be circulating.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment