The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

gizzy's picture

Using a Kitchen Aid Standmixer to make bread... having problems, need advice!

September 10, 2011 - 1:57pm -- gizzy

Hi,

I'm trying to use my kitchen aid standmixer to kneed my dough.. however, it seems that no mater what I do the dough always primarilly sticks to the side and bottom of the bowl and only a small portion actually gets kneeded. Usually at this point, I take the dough out of the bowl and kneed it by hand; however, this is time consuming. I'd much prefer to leave it in the stand mixer to finish kneeding. Is there something I can do to stop this? is it normal? do I just add small amounts of more flour?

appendix's picture

room around a baking stone

September 10, 2011 - 10:48am -- appendix

I am considering buying a baking stone & would like to know if I get one "cut to fit" how much room (if any) do I leave for air flow around the stone?  the racks would hold a 24"x14" stone if I filled them entirely, but that would leave virtually no space.  Just a small amount in the back where the rack slants up.  Can I maximize this & use it all or is there a minimum amount of room I need to leave around the stone?

pdurusau's picture

LG-Stove Temperature Range

September 3, 2011 - 10:00am -- pdurusau

Hello,

I am trying to find the oven temperature range for two LG gas ovens.

Model #LRG3097 and Model #LRG3095

I have tried the LG homesite (manual omits this detail), the information at various appliance vendors (also omit this detail) and I even called an appliance store that said they would have to plug it in to get that information and offered me a price break since they didn't have it. ;-)

Both models are on sale and I would really like to get one with a proofing temperature if possible (it may not be).

Appreciate any help, guesses or surmises!

aMused's picture

Nesco Convection Roaster

August 30, 2011 - 8:30pm -- aMused

I've been experimenting with using an electric roaster to bake a loaf of bread at a time during the summer.  The roaster I was using was a small, 6 quart roaster but it was big enough to do one loaf of bread.  During the last 15 minutes I removed the loaf from the pan and turned it on it's side to brown the top and bottom of the loaf since the heating element is around the edges of the roaster rather than on the bottom.

dough-re-mi's picture

Dual Fuel Range

August 24, 2011 - 8:32am -- dough-re-mi

While I really want a brick or clay oven (and a large enough piece of property to hold it), it looks like I have an opportunity to replace my Amana gas oven. I used a thermocouple thermometer to measure its temp, and it swings so wildly I am surprised that the bread I've made has turned out as well as it has.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment