The Fresh Loaf

A Community of Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

Baking Equipment

Any questions or recommendations dealing with stand mixers, baking stones, or any other baking equipment.

loafgeek's picture

Paula Deen Casserole/Dutch Oven for No-Knead Bread

August 25, 2012 - 4:24pm -- loafgeek

I've been using this decorative 3.5 quart Paula Deen cast iron casserole dish / dutch oven for the past 4 years and just wanted to say how pleased I am with it for baking my No-Knead Sourdough Boules.  It will last me a lifetime.  You can buy this pot on Amazon for $35-50 just search for "Paula Deen Cast Iron Casserole" and you'll find it.  I bake 890 gram (wet weight @ 70% hydration) sourdough boules in it and they rise to the top.

loafgeek's picture

Can I Preheat a Pullman Pan?

August 21, 2012 - 11:31pm -- loafgeek

I was wondering if I can preheat my Pullman Pan (that I just got off Amazon for $30) like I do my cast iron dutch oven for no knead sourdough?  Or will this warp it?  Would this even be beneficial since it is so thin?

Maybe I should just preheat a pizza stone to 450F and sit the non-preheated pullman pan on it while baking.

AnnaInNC's picture

Taco salad in a tortilla shell

August 6, 2012 - 11:11am -- AnnaInNC

Time to broaden my flat baking horizon.  I just came back with a 4-lbs bag of Masa Harina, and gave up after 4 stores looking for tortilla/taco shell salad pans.  Any ideas how to get by with ordinary household containers baking the tortilla into something similar to a taco salad shell ? A friend uses an upside down muffin pan and puts the soft tortilla in between four muffin forms but I want something with a bit bigger bottom to hold the hamburger and lettuce.

Thanks much,

anna

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Baking Equipment