My first success with sourdough French bread with sesame seeds

Thordawggy's picture
March 9, 2007 - 12:28pm -- Thordawggy

I experimented with a basic French bread and used sourdough starter and vital wheat gluten added.  The crust has an egg yolk wash and sesame seeds on three loaves.  The inside is nice and stretchy with lots of little holes.  I am new to bread baking so I get to brag a little. :-)

Taxonomy upgrade extras:

Comments

weavershouse's picture
Submitted by weavershouse on

Wow those are beautiful. How much vital wheat gluten do you put in your recipe and, if posssible, I'd love to have the recipe.                           weavershouse

Thordawggy's picture
Submitted by Thordawggy on

Hi - the vital wheat gluten indicates to put approximately 4 teaspons per loaf in your dry ingredients.  Even thought the recipe is easy, it is also long and I type really slowly.  I used the Pain Ordinaire Careme (A Daily Loaf) recipe on page 221 of the Bernard Clayton New Complete Book of Bread.  The additions I made will make some people cringe because of all the leavening.  Add these ingredients:

1 1/2 cup of sourdough starter (and delete 1/4 tsp of yeast called for in the recipe) and 8 teaspoons of vital wheat gluten in the batter stage.  The dough rose really fast in a 63 degree house which was scary.  I think that I was lucky that they didn't just flatten in the oven.

I am new to bread making and was just experimenting.  The taste and texture is really good although only slightly sour.

weavershouse's picture
Submitted by weavershouse on

Wow, that's great bread for being new and experimenting. Thanks for the information about the wheat gluten and for the place to look for the recipe.                      weavershouse

beanfromex's picture
Submitted by beanfromex on

I am assuiming this is an additive.

Do you order it online or can it be found easily in the grocery stores?

Also, what is its purpose?

Thank you.

Thordawggy's picture
Submitted by Thordawggy on

Beanfromex - I found the vital wheat gluten in the regular grocery store (Rainbow) in the baking section where other little boxes of stuff like baking powder and stuff was.  It is from Hodgson Mill.  The indgredients indicate just vital wheat gluten and vitamin C.  The box says tht it makes higher rising loaves, increases protien, extends freshness and improves shape.  I can vouch for all that.  Works really well to make whole wheat and rye breads softer too.

Two weeks ago a saw a whole bunch of boxes of this stuff on the sale counter.  It turns out that they are not selling it any more. It was a closeout and I didn't buy any!  Other stores probably do otherwise I will get it from Honeyville Grain where I get my bread flour.  However much you order costs $4.99 for shipping so I get 50 pound bags of flour.  The vital wheat gluten there comes in a #10 can. Big. Since it needs to be refridgerated after opening I will have to vacuum pack smaller amounts and freeze it.  King Arthur's Bakers Catalog on line sells it in smaller amounts and they call it something different.  I think it is the same as dough enhancer.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Laura

Edited to say that I am going to make the same bread today to see if it works twice. :-)  Will let you know if I just got lucky the first time.

beanfromex's picture
Submitted by beanfromex on

For the detailed and prompt response.

I am canadian but live in southern mexico. This product will not be available where I live, but I will check in the grocery stores in Canada in June.

Your loaves in the posted picture look wonderful!! Well done.

Regards from southern Mexico.

Squid's picture
Submitted by Squid on

Beanfromex, I'm from Ontario (I think you mentioned on another thread that you're from Ontario) and I get Vital Wheat Gluten at my HFS. I get the Bob's Red Mill brand and it comes in smaller, 1.5 lb bags. Since I don't use much, it's a more manageable size.

beanfromex's picture
Submitted by beanfromex on

Thank you!!

I think there is a HFS in Greensville. (Just outside of Hamilton, which would be the nearest town you "might" know.

Yes. a 1.5 lb bag will be a better size for travel.  I will be sure to pick some up in June.

Regards from Tabasco.