No Knead bread baked in the La Cloche

weavershouse's picture
December 29, 2006 - 5:52pm -- weavershouse

Here is my photo of the bread baked in the La Cloche stoneware baker. This is the first loaf I made with the New York Times recipe. The breads I've made since in the same way are even nicer. I'm happy with the technique and the taste.

Taxonomy upgrade extras:

Comments

weavershouse's picture
Submitted by weavershouse on

The La Cloche was in the oven while it was preheating to 500º. After the oven and the La Cloche were preheated I removed the lid from the La Cloche, put the bread in, replaced the lid (make sure you use your oven mit), baked at 500º for 20 min., removed the lid and continued baking about 10 to 15 min. No need to add cornmeal to bottom of pot. The bread does not stick.

weavershouse's picture
Submitted by weavershouse on

I bake this bread at a lower temperature now. I preheat the oven (with the La Clouche inside) to 500º, put the bread in the La Clouche, close the oven and turn the temp down to 450º, bake for 20 min., remove the lid and continue baking at 450º for 10 to 15 min. This works better for me, it gives the bread more time to cook before browning too much.
Today I'm making the bread with 1/2 cup rye sourdough, 1 1/2 cup dark rye flour, 1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour, 1/4 tsp. yeast (because I worry my sourdough isn't strong enough), 2 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 cup water, 2 TBL. caraway seed. I may be wrong about my sourdough not being strong enough but I couldn't resist throwing in the little bit of yeast. I mixed everything up last night about 8 p.m. and today about noon I divided the dough into two pieces and formed round breads. They will go in the oven about 1:45. Wish me luck. weavershouse

conniekristen's picture
Submitted by conniekristen on

Where did you  purchase the La Cloche?   Is the no knead recipe on line?  I'd love to try it.

weavershouse's picture
Submitted by weavershouse on

I bought my La Cloche from Amazon.com for about $37.00 or $38.00, best price I've seen anywhere. The recipe is on this site. Just search under New York Times Bread or No Knead Bread. A great way to make great bread. Sorry it took so long to answer your question but my kids were in town from four states for their dad's birthday and I was busy making lots of bread in my La Cloche. Everyone was happy. weavershouse

KNEADLESS's picture
Submitted by KNEADLESS on

I too have been using my Xmas gift La Clouch with the no knead approach, but I have been afraid to plop the cold dough onto the hot bottom ( put the dough on my stone instead.) It sounds like you have answered my fear of possibly cracking the bottom. Your loaf looks great and it is very large. How many cups of flour was it made from?

George

weavershouse's picture
Submitted by weavershouse on

There is no need to worry about cracking the bottom of your La Cloche with the cold bread dough. Unless it came right from the refridgerator it's probably not that cold. I think the only problem would be if you sprayed it with cold water which is not necessary. I used 3 cups of flour as the recipe on this site calls for. Happy Baking! weavershouse