Sourdough Brioche

Butler's picture
February 6, 2007 - 5:53am -- Butler

Comments

jm_chng's picture
Submitted by jm_chng on

Looks great, I've been meaning to bake a sourdough brioche for ages now but haven't got round to it. What's your recipde?

Jim

Butler's picture
Submitted by Butler on

This recipe is from Nancy Silverton's Bread From La Brea Bakery.

Her oven temp is kind of high so you have to keep a close watch on the last 10 mins.Unless you enjoy a dark caramelized crust like I do.

demegrad's picture
Submitted by demegrad on

I haven't looked at nancy's book in a little while, is the bread just omitting the raisins from her raisin brioche recipe?  I don't remember there being specifically a sourdough brioche recipe

demegrad

Paddyscake's picture
Submitted by Paddyscake on

I've always seen brioche baked in brioche tins. Can you take any brioche recipe and bake it in a loaf pan? If so, how different would baking times be?

demegrad's picture
Submitted by demegrad on

I can't say with a whole lot of experience but according to RLB's the bread bible the bake time is the same 35-40 minutes, but it all depends on temperature.  The recipe for basic brioche in the bread bible says to wait til a skewer comes out clean or an instant read thermometer reads 190 degrees F.  I would say wait til 195 degrees to be safe and to avoid using the skewer method for this type of bread.  With so much butter in the dough nothing is going to stick to the skewer even if the dough isn't done.  Like I said I could be quite wrong about the 195 thing but I've had pannetone fall after taking it out of the oven, even though it read 190 internal temperature and I'm sure my thermometer reads well.  But as far as the pans go, I've always had extra pannetone dough whenever I made it.  I just ball it up little bits of dough and throw em in a muffin tin.  Actually I preffered the little pannetone muffins to the loaf.  But in that case they took about 15 minutes to bake.

demegrad

gianfornaio's picture
Submitted by gianfornaio on

I'm completely drooling on myself. I normally don't go in for such enriched things-- I really like the lean breads, which I butter or dip in oil later-- but I do love butter and can almost taste that and the sour from your photo. That's going right on my list of loaves to bake, I think.

That in mind, maybe I should have had a larger dinner.

...And Nancy does like a dark crust, doesn't she? I like the bit in that book where she talks about the people who come in to the LaBrea bakery and complain about how all the breads are "burnt."

mountaindog's picture
Submitted by mountaindog on

I make brioche quite often for my French in-laws, but have never made a sourdough version, how do you avoid the sourdough flavor from competing with the buttery flavor? Do you need to ensure your starter and resulting dough are not too sour through fermentation time and temp.?

Regarding pan shapes - I've always used loaf pans also for brioche, but my husband just brought me back 2 nice fluted round brioche molds from France that I look forward to using. The baking time should not be much different as the molds hold about the same amount of dough as a loaf pan, it's just a matter of aesthetics and presentation and what shape you prefer. I've seen the fluted molds used in boulangeries in the parts of France I've visited as well as the loaf shape.

dcbakerman's picture
Submitted by dcbakerman on

I have had good luck with making the brioche shortly after feeding the starter.  It rises really quickly but doesnt overwhelm the butter.  I also use irish butter, kerrygold, which is really flavorful.