Thom Leonard Country French Boule

jane's picture
January 26, 2007 - 8:02am -- jane

I baked Thom Leonard Country French Boule - the recipe was posted by mountaindog. I also use my new mixer to knead the dough and I would like to thank Breadnerd who kindly post the mixing pic for me. Right now I absolutely in love with my new mixer. Thanks!!!

Comments

jane's picture
Submitted by jane on

Demegrad,

I love your Pane Siciliano picture. I think I will try Siciliano too (too many recipe but too little time) and will let you know my result. Right now trying to decide which grain mill to get.

Jane

Sylviambt's picture
Submitted by Sylviambt on

Something to shoot for.  I never thought I'd ever be so excited about that first slice into a boule or baguette.  Getting those large, glistening holes has become an obsession.

Sylviambt

In search of the perfect crust and crumb.

jane's picture
Submitted by jane on

sylviambt and joeS,

I think everybody can get those holes as long as keep practicing and be gentle on the dough. Can't wait to see your beautiful bread pic soon. Right now, I'm shooting for a good slashing for my bread, I think it will takes sometimes.

Jane

gothicgirl's picture
Submitted by gothicgirl on

That is beautiful bread!!  Nice work!

jane's picture
Submitted by jane on

gothicgirl,

I'm working my slashing right now.  I think I see some post that mentioned you are  culinary student, I hope I can do something like that after I'm done with my Phd this spring. I'm still thinking but can not decided.

Jane

JoeS's picture
Submitted by JoeS on

I got the bubbly crust, now I'm searching for the big holes, just like Sylviambt.

breadnerd's picture
Submitted by breadnerd on

That bread looks wonderful! I'm so glad to have helped out a little--that really made my day!

Thanks for sharing! :)

jane's picture
Submitted by jane on

breadnerd,

I think I live in same state as you do, I hope I have a chance to see you mud oven in the future. I think my bread have a better rise by using DLX maybe the mixer is more gentle on kneading dough.

Jane

mountaindog's picture
Submitted by mountaindog on

That looks absolutely perfect! Your crust does look nice and brown as Demegrad says, and the crumb is perfect...Very nicely photographed...Glad I could be of some help too in posting the recipe for you. How did you like the taste? What kind of starter did you use?

jane's picture
Submitted by jane on

Mountaindog,

My country french boule was inspired by you and thank you so much.  My dough actually took quite long in the first rise as well as second which I don't mind at all, as a result, I really like the taste of the bread. I use white starter but I increased the amount of rye flour in the same time I also reduced some of the bread flour in the final dough.

Jane

Bruce R Leech's picture
Submitted by Bruce R Leech on

beautiful bread!!  what mixer did you get?  I like the Kitchen aid 6 quart for small batches. but I also use a Hobart 12 and 20 also

jane's picture
Submitted by jane on

Bruce,

Thank you, I use DLX for country french boule dough. I also have little KA for small thing(I just sold my KA Pro600 to my friend). I wanted a DLX because I want to learn to use different kind of mixer such as spiral and planetary. If I know I can get Hobart from ebay last time, I'm sure I will get one of those instead of my little KA. Right now, I'm fine with my mixer maybe in the future I may get a Hobart mixer.

Jane