First real success on a stone.
I had my first real success today. I thank this site, obviously, for teaching me baker's percentage and how to use it.
I made a 70% hydration flour/yeast/salt/water bread today. Everything was weighed and I came up with the following:
300g flour (100%)
210g water (70%)
6g active dry yeast (2%)
6g salt (2%)
This gave me a loaf that is 473 grams, or just over a pound, once baked. Perfect for a meal or two of pasta.
One thing I need to work on, though, is my scoring. I did score this one, but apparently it wasn't quite enough. The bottom blew out. I think it also could've benefitted from a bit more proofing...maybe 15-20 minutes or so.
I'm going to weighing ingredients for breads now exclusively. The results are much easier to reproduce.
I'm trying to work out exactly how my starter will be added into this whole thing once I start feeding it by weight, which I'm going to start today. 20 grams of starter, 40 grams of water, 40 grams of flour, of which 5 grams will be rye.