Wholewheat sourdough bread doesn't oven spring
All of my wholewheat sourdough breads (but one!) turned out to be more or less, pancakes. Delicious tho, but pancakes. I generally don't like white bread so all of my breads were wholewheat (I sometimes make sourdough with ww + white flour or add not more then 10% of semolina flour).
Today I wanted to make a test and bake simultaneously a 100% wholewheat bread and a 100% white flour semolina bread. It turned out that semolina was actually wholewheat, but nevertheless I gave it a shot :)
Here is the step-by-step process. I've done the same procedure for both loafs:
Fist of all - the starter https://photos.app.goo.gl/1yYmGRLQTzzKchSQ2 Refreshed 10h prior the usage, should have been less, my bad. The last 50g of white semolina I had + 50g of water
1. Wholewheat https://photos.app.goo.gl/WNQ5Y8WNKCRZjpEa2 -> 350g ww flour @80% hydratation, 2% salt, 15% sourdough
Semolina ww https://photos.app.goo.gl/xF8I5ElkDGPsaC8U2 -> the same as for the previous one 350g ww semolina flour @80% hydratation, 2% salt, 15% sourdough
The dough is left to autolyse for 30mins (with 250g of water. The remaining 30g was mix with salt and added later)
2. Added salt (I used himalayan salt, that's why it's reddish) with the https://photos.app.goo.gl/16JSEwxRNHk0aEYr2
3. Added sourdough https://photos.app.goo.gl/iLL4qwHpvMtdcCP62
4. First fold, right after mixing the sourdough https://photos.app.goo.gl/wyYPEAv1F6pICgfF3
5. Second fold, after 30mins https://photos.app.goo.gl/8GMBLkoSukGRSzr63
6. Third fold, after 30 mins https://photos.app.goo.gl/suhwc0ZVk5DLBqnR2
7. Forth fold, after 30 mins https://photos.app.goo.gl/oYFhB2iRbeCC7CQw1
8. Fifth fold, I forgot to take a photo
9. Pre-shaped and did a bench rest for 40min with a kitchen cloth (I actually wanted it to be 30mins) https://photos.app.goo.gl/JLf8R3NVre4oTFzi1
Immediately after shaping I've done a finger proof test, just to see if the dent would spring back (like it never does when I'm making bread :D) video -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/1QWEH2qt1voQcaBH2 so for the ww loaf the dent remained as if it was overproofed where for the semolina ww it sprung back, why is this?
11. After proofing for 2.5h https://photos.app.goo.gl/NAWtpUFArucLTjQ33
12. Baking https://photos.app.goo.gl/8y11c4My6o3JZqg42 I tried to bake both of them at once, but it was a bit crowded. I usually cover the loaf with a big metal bowl, this time I've just added a tray with water.
The results: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KA4jAcwroUI3PJrK2 ww semolina 1, ww 0. The loafs are still warm so I haven't sliced them yet.
And my question is: why didn't the ww loaf have any oven spring? This has been happening since I've been baking sourdough bread (i.e. march this year). The only thing I can think of is that the problem is in the flour itself but I've changed so many flours and the result is more or less always the same. In this case both flours have 12g of protein (semolina ww has 12,5g).
The only time I've made a "perfect" ww bread with a regular ww flour + spelt flour (https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHh9yT8q8I05LMU63) was by chance and I was doing a fridge proofing. I tried to reproduce the steps in order to make another one of these beauties but tough luck.
Please if you have any advices I would be most grateful.
Sorry for so many photo links, but posting images with the forum's "Insert image" is a nightmare :D