Cleanup on Aisle 1...
Wow. What an utter clusterf*ck of a session *that* was in the kitchen.
So I took a recipe from the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. Whole Grain Rye bread. Easy peasy.
I intended to add sourdough starter, so I put everything in a spreadsheet and did some calculations. I added 250g of 100% hydration starter so I removed 125g of flour and 125g of water.
Mixed it all up, let it rise. And it rose!
I did make one definite mistake here. I lost my place and instead of pulling maybe half of this batch to bake tonight, I tried to shape and form the entire batch of dough, theoretically enough for a 4-pound loaf. But still, I think the result would have been almost the same had I worked with only half the batch.
Glue. It just stuck to everything. No amount of flour would protect. I estimate that I washed a solid cup of dough off of my hands down the drain. I also added probably one and a half cups of flour. That's what it took to get this dry enough to where I could actually get it into a boule. I pulled a huge chunk off and threw it into a pan, the rest went into my dutch oven.
The boule seems to be done, the loaf pan went back in the oven. Neither has the 'thump' I expected. I'm suspicious.