Plötziade - Pain Au Levain
After reading a post by Ian writing about building a bread that calls our own, this idea strikes me and I decided I am up for this challenge. The only requirement for the challenge is following the ingridient listed in his blog 450 g (90%) 550 wheat flour 50 g (10%) rye flour 10 g (2%), salt Yeast and / or yeast Water
This is my second attempt at this bread, last week I haven’t had much luck and ended up with a over-proofed bread. This week I have a little tweak at proof schedule and so forth, and finally with something decent. Enough being said, heres the formula I used
|Weight per Serving||439.5|
|Build 1||Build 2||Build 3||Soaker||Final Dough||Add-In||Total|
|White Starter (100%)||10||10|
|Yeast Water Levain (100%)||0|
|Extra-High Protein Flour (>14%)||0|
|Raisin Soaker Water||0|
|Sesame (1 Cup)||0|
|Final Dough Water Temp (85F) Dough Temp (79F)|
|Autolyse all ingridient (except Salt and 14G of water)||40Mins|
|Add salt mix well with a few stretch and Fold|
|S&F 6 times (@ 30 Mins interval)|
|Total Bulk Fermentation @ 24C||6Hours|
|Overnight Retard Proof (in Fridge)||5 Hours|
|Bake - Cover||30|
|Finished Loaf registered 212F|
I store my starter in the fridge my weekly bake, so I refresh it 2 times before I build my levain. On my baking day, feed it at 10:40:40 Starter:Flour:Water left it in room temperature before I ran off to work, came home it has double in size with sweet aroma with a slightly sour tang (Eating and tasting from the raw starter gives me the best approximation on how my bread would be, and luckily Im still alive after so many starter tasting).
I dissolved the starter in 320G of warm water mixed it with flour till its fully hydrated. It would looks like a batter instead of bread dough, It will come together eventually.
Autolysed it for 40mins you can see the gluten is starting to form, then added salt and remaining 13g of water, mixed it using pincer method. I gave it 6 in-bowl stretch and fold every 30 mins, total bulk fermentation would be 6hours at room temp (22c). It had grown a bit around 30%, it felt light and well aerated.
Gently eased it out of the container, by flouring the side and nudged it with a rubber spatula, It should come out very nicely.
Pre-shaped it into a rectangle, let it rest for 30mins. Then shaped it into a boule and put it in a banneton with the seams down ( I was gonna let it bloom naturally, then I realized I shaped it fairly tight).
Proof in the fridge for 6 hours, I let it warm up at room temperature for an hour, while my “dutch oven” is heating up. Inverted the dough on parchment paper and scored.
Baked covered at 240C (the max that my oven would go) for 30 Mins, then uncover fro 25 mins. It registered over 210F internal temperature.
It sang for quite a while when its out of the oven, with nice crackie noise that we all love. It has nice open crumb, fantastic aroma, sweet and crunchy crust with chewy crumb, it’s a everyday bread that hope you all enjoy.
its Spring time, these are some flowers found near my apartment. I am still very new to photo shooting, any comments on my photos are very welcome!!