Currant Buns and Challah
I've been baking a lot lately, as I try to master my Cadco oven. Some breads come out better than in my conventional gas home oven, others not so much. The other day I made challah, and it came out better than ever. Unfortunately I didn't take good notes, so I'm not quite sure how I baked it. I did one six strand loaf and the other seven. The seven was strangely flat and boring. I guess I need a fancier braiding regime.
Awhile ago, I tried another La Brea bread - currant buns with a liquid rye sour and a fairly low hydration. While they were tasty, I wasn't quite happy with them. So I tried it my way with my drier rye sour and a higher hydration.
I made both loaves and buns. Using Janet's regime (turn off the oven for a few minutes after preheat and a couple minutes of steaming then on again) my loaves open consistently but I've only got a really good ear once and of course didn't take a picture.
I made the buns by rolling into a thick log and then curling them up. The spiral is largely lost in the bake but you can see it a bit.
These are really tasty, but need a few more currants to push them over the top:
I got a steel sheet that fits on a full shelf in the oven. This can be baked on directly like a stone, but today I baked on a baking sheet on top of it.
|Rye sour (80%)||275|
|Very wet but strong|
|Put in refrig at 5 pm until 10:30 next morning|
|Shape into loaves and buns|
|Proof 40 minutes|
|Preheat oven to 500 for 40 minutes|
|Steam without opening for 2 minutes|
|Slash, spray and load bread|
|Steam at 500 for 1 minute (actually around 450 as|
|heat lost when door opened)|
|Turn off oven for 7 minutes.|
|Turn on again at 425.|
|Remove rolls after 12 minutes|
|Reduce heat to 350 and bake loaves 10 more minutes|