Inadvertent 50% Rye & Swedish Rye Variation
I have been on a higher % rye kick for a while now and decided to bake up a few to stock me up for December. When I say higher %, I know these aren't quite high, but for me, I haven't really tried anything higher then 40% prior to this. Maybe a Danish Rye qualifies as higher than 40%...
I baked up a Swedish Seed Rye using my Swedish Rye formula and simply adjusted it by using dark rye instead of medium rye. Also added some sprouted organic spelt flour in lieu of my typical spelt flour. Even though it will still be a day or two until the flavour develops properly, I can already taste the dark rye coming through loud and clear.
Starting out as a 40% Rye, the other 2 loaves I baked up turned into a 50% Rye inadvertently. I realized during the mixing process that I added too much water. I had to off set this hydration with more flour. I ended up using an extra 95 grams of dark rye flour. The loaves came out decent but with little oven spring. I noticed that the bread tastes quite sour so I have a feeling I over fermented both the sour and the bulk. The extra bran in the dark rye was probably the culprit in the over fermenting. Still came out decent enough for a slice of cheddar or knob of liver pate.