The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

ITJB Honey Whole Wheat Challah

  • Pin It
Sjadad's picture
Sjadad

ITJB Honey Whole Wheat Challah

To celebrate the Jewish New Year, 5774, I baked ITJB's Honey Whole Wheat Challah in a round braid, as is traditional for Rosh Hashana.  Wishing everyone a very happy, healthy, sweet, peaceful, and prosperous New Year! 

In the first photo you can see the indentations from my "poke" test to be sure it was ready for the oven.  I didn't use any seeds because my kids prefer their Challah plain.

Sjadad

Honey Whole Wheat Challah Honey Whole Wheat Challah Honey Whole Wheat Challah

Comments

golgi70's picture
golgi70

But all the wheat challa I've had in the past have not even closely resembled challa.  How does this formula fair against traditional challa?  Is it light and fluffy?  Once again it looks stellar

 

Josh

Sjadad's picture
Sjadad

I know what you mean about whole wheat vs. traditional challah.  I've owned Inside the Jewish Bakery for many months, yet this is the first recipe I've tried.  I'll take a picture when we cut into tonight and let you know about the crumb.

In this recipe, whole wheat flour makes up 40% of the total weight of the flour (the other 60% is bread flour).  I'm anticipating this challah will also be less sweet than traditional, since the baker's percentage of the honey is 7%, while in a traditonal challah the granulated sugar would be 10%-20%.

Sjadad

Sjadad's picture
Sjadad

Here's a photo of the interior:

Challah Crumb

I don't know how "light and fluffy" it is, but it certainly has the texture of challah.  The flavor is pronounced whole wheat.  I really don't detect much honey or sweetness.  So if you like earthy, whole wheat flavor I believe you'll like this challah. 

Sjadad

dabrownman's picture
dabrownman

Rosh Hashanah Challah for sure!  I was going to make a one but at the last minute decide to make a traditional one when i found some saffron. 

Well done and happy baking

gmagmabaking2's picture
gmagmabaking2

That is the recipe I used... yours looks so much better... very good taste for toast or with dinner... lovely!

Happy New Year!

Diane

Sjadad's picture
Sjadad

Thanks Diane. This morning I used some slices to make French Toast that was devoured by all. I always put a dash of vanilla extract in the egg wash, along with a small glug of half-and-half, and I dust each plateful with powdered sugar. That's what I call Breakfast of Champions :)

varda's picture
varda

Hi,  I was just watching videos last night as I am making round challahs today.   Did you do the tic tac toe braid?    I can't quite tell.    Your challah looks wonderful!  -Varda

Sjadad's picture
Sjadad

You're very kind Varda.  I divide the dough into four strands that I roll into ropes about 18 inches long. I lay two vertically and the other two horizontally over them, weaving the strands as you would a basket. Then I braid the ends until I run out of length.  I fold and pinch the ends underneath. Is that a tic-tac-toe braid?

dabrownman's picture
dabrownman

with 6 strands.  Very easy and no problem to remember how to do it.

varda's picture
varda

Here is a youtube that uses what I'm calling the tic tac toe braid.   I tried this yesterday, but didn't do her last step which is to fold the corners in and flip over.    Not sure if that's the same braid as yours.  -Varda

Sjadad's picture
Sjadad

Yes Varda, that's how I braided my challah except I folded the ends under rather than bringing them over the top and flipping the loaf.   It's much easier than the final product might suggest. 

Sjadad

dmsnyder's picture
dmsnyder

Le Shonah Tovah to you and yours!

David

Sjadad's picture
Sjadad

Same to you and your family David. 

Sjadad