Whole-wheat Sandwich Bread
Has anyone tried the Whole-wheat Sandwich Bread recipe in the recent March-April issue of Cooks Illustrated?
The video for it is free to access at:
It is a 60% whole wheat flour loaf using a biga and a soaker with milk.
- 2 cups (11 ounces) bread flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) warm water (100-110 degrees)
- 1/2 tsp instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 3 cups (16 1/2 ounces) whole-whet flour plus extra kneading
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 cups (16 ounces ) whole milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tsps. table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Cover both biga and soaker and let stand 8-24 hours.
Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 40-50 mins.
Bread flour for work surface.
Yield: 2 9x5 inch loaves.
Whole milk and wheat germ in the soaker?
And it still doesn't look as if it has sufficient height to it in the final product.