Wanted to share an experiment changing fermenting schedule and build proportions
Just wanted to share an experiment that turned out pretty nicely. I normally make my weekly whole wheat loaves in two builds with 3/4 of the water in the first build and half of the flour. After reading about Crumb Bum's Miche after the Fresh Loafer Meetup I started also to think about how I make my bread. My routine is to take active starter out of the fridge, mix about 6 oz into 16oz ww stone ground (Wheatland Farms) and 15oz water, let it ripen over night, add another 16 oz ww flour (KA traditional WW) .5 oz salt and 5 oz of water and ferment/proof etc from there. What I tried this time was to take 2 oz of starter and treat it like a refresh at 1:2:2 mix and let that sit all day. That evening I mixed the rest of the ingredients up and kneaded for 10 min (didn't fold like I normally do because it was 9:00 pm and I was really ready to just go to bed). I let that ferment on the counter over night and at 6 the next morning I shaped my loaves and beked them at 9:30 and wow. They turned out to be some of the lighter ww loaves I have made. The flavor was better than normal as well. Anyway, it was an interesting experiment that I'll continue to refine. The schedule was better for me as well. I was worried that the dough would over proof but its a stiff dough and it seemed to be better for the long ferment rather than broken down.