Blueberry-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
From a recipe we found in Sunset Magazine (Jan 2005)
1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed, or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) cold butter, cut into chunks
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. In a small pan over medium heat, bring blueberries and apple juice to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until blueberries pop (a couple minutes). In a small bowl, mix up the cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water. Add to the blueberry stuff; and stir until it thickens, about a minute.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Cut butter in with a pastry blender (two forks work fine if you don't have one or can't find it) until the mixture looks crumbly. Save about 1/2 cup; pour the rest into a large bowl. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon peel.
3. In a bowl, mix yogurt, vanilla, and 1 egg until blended; stir into flour-baking powder mixture until it's all mixed up. Spread batter into a buttered 9-inch round cake pan with a removable rim.
4. Take the bowl from step two and mix in the cream cheese, the rest of the sugar (1/4 cup), an egg, and lemon juice until it's pretty smooth. Spread it over batter in the pan, leaving about a half an inch border bare. Gently spread blueberry mixture over cream cheese mixture, leaving some of the cheese visible. Stir almonds into reserved flour mixture and sprinkle over cake. *The recipe says to concentrate the sprinkling of the almond crumble stuff most around edge of batter - we didn't and when we baked it, the center sank in the middle a little, so that may be why.
5. Bake in a 350� oven until center of cake barely jiggles when pan is gently shaken and the top of the cake is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove pan rim.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Party hat is optional.