Let's Compare Notes On Starter Maintenance Routines
I would like to compare notes on starter maintenance routines. Hopefully others would find this interesting as well.
To best understand each starter, please include the following if you post your starter information.
- Hydration (water as a percent of total flour in the starter)
- Feeding ratios used, fermentation times, temperatures used (please specify how the feeding ratio is measured, e.g. by weight or volume)
- When storing
- When refreshing in anticipation of a baking session
- Type of flour used
- Refrigeration or other storage methods
- Any other interesting aspects of the starter
It doesn't matter what kind of starter you have. I'm just interested in collecting as many examples as possible in as much detail as possible. Anyone who has done this for a little while discovers a routine that works, so please share it if you have a moment. I'm guessing that the range of hydrations, feeding ratios, flour types, temperatures, and other aspects of these routines vary over a huge range.
I'm doing this as a blog entry, so we don't clutter the front page with too much detailed starter discussion.