Italian Peasant Bread or Fast Focaccia
3/4 to 1 cup warm water or milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons yeast
Olive oil (to garnish)
Rosemary additional (to garnish)
Kosher salt (to garnish)
1. Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir, you want a soft sticky dough; add more water if needed. Cover.
2. Let rest 15 minutes, briefly knead in bowl, cover and place in a really warm place or an oven preheated to warm and turned off. Let rise for 30 -40 minutes, until doubled.
3. Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with corn meal. Place dough on parchment and sprinkle liberally with olive oil.
4. Shape dough, into a rectangle, spreading thin, maybe an inch or two of thickness.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
6. Dimple the dough with your fingers and sprinkle with kosher salt and additional rosemary
7. Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes until crust is deep golden and crispy.
8. Cool on a wire rack, slide out the parchment paper.
9. Have everyone tear their pieces of bread with their hands, and serve with olive oil flavored with fresh ground black pepper.
Tip: I bake mine on a pizza stone, just slide the parchment onto the stone and bake.
You can add different herbs, parmesan, mozzarella, sundried tomatoes, olives, you get the idea. Add cheese last 5 minutes of baking.
Total time 1 hour 20 minutes