My 6 Braid by Audra36274

audra36274's picture
April 21, 2007 - 5:40pm -- audra36274

Comments

crumb bum's picture
Submitted by crumb bum on

Hey Audra

That 6 braid is amazing.

Da Crum Bum

Susan's picture
Submitted by Susan on

Gorgeous! You're doing a great job. Who's eatin' all that bread?

Susan

audra36274's picture
Submitted by audra36274 on

My kids and hubby! And its not like its " all that bread". These were a week or so apart.  It made great sandwiches, though. We work hard to get a pretty crust, and the first thing my kids say is to cut off the crust. Oh well!

Susan's picture
Submitted by Susan on

It's good to be reminded about kids and their eccentricities. My only kid is 37....

Susan

audra36274's picture
Submitted by audra36274 on

Its a good thing we don't all do like our parents. My mama hates to cook. As a child my grandmother took care of me during the day while my mother worked, and it was her that I have young cooking memories with. She's been gone a long time, and by the time I grew up and wanted to make her foods in my house it was too late. In fact, I can thank The Barefoot Contessa for solving a recipe mystery. I watched her ( Ina) make croissant bread pudding one day and thought it was so pretty. Thanksgiving was coming up in a week. I was out shopping, and found some croissants and decided to make her recipe to go with the holiday meal. When I took the first bite, it was like 35 or so years had vanished and I was a little girl sitting in my grandmothers  kitchen. I didn't even know that it was bread pudding that she had made so often when I was so young. Of course she didn't use croissants, but the taste was the same. I now make it for my kids. We have all that left over bread you know! And girl, I'm not that far behind you just because my children are 4 and 1. I didn't  have any until I was 36. All my friends children are out of high school now. But at least now I can spend more time with them, and also more time baking. Was it you who mentioned that we should use spring water in the starter? Is it because of "critters" in the water, or chlorine from city water?

Audra

Susan's picture
Submitted by Susan on

Audra, if you were asking me...No, we don't get to see each other as often as we would like, as Drew lives in Germany. Tho we do cook together when we visit.

If you were asking Eric about his daughter, well, he'll just have to answer that!

Susan

P.S.  It's because of the chlorine.

ehanner's picture
Submitted by ehanner on

I have a big party to go to and I know the Birthday girl who is turning 40 would appreciate this for her party. Would you post the recipe or is it available commonly?

Thank you for inspiring me to do this. I may get my teen age daughter to help with the braiding but that will be fun also.

Eric

tattooedtonka's picture
Submitted by tattooedtonka on

Do you make challah often?

Wonderful looking bread.

My wife's family is Jewish, and my wife has been trying to get me to attempt one.

I dont think I'm ready for that yet.

TT

audra36274's picture
Submitted by audra36274 on

I've seen all those pretty post of yours, It really wasn't hard, as far as the braid goes. In fact the 6 braid is just like braiding hair ( get your wife's help if you need be- most guys I know don't braid a lot of hair!) It was just a three braid on the bottom, and a little bit smaller 3 braid on top of it. The 4 braid was a beast and I had to take it apart several times before it worked out. I read the instructions but I must be a SPAZ!

To be honest, I went on the web to find a recipe and instructions for a braided bread for Easter weekend, and that's how I found you guy's. I don't know anyone Jewish, and have since learned of the religious significance of the Challah. I'm glad I went in search of a braided loaf. I have really enjoyed "meeting" ya'll, and found a wonderful new bread also. The 4 braid was my first, and the 6 braid was no. 3. Number 2 was a total flop. You really should try it. I'm sure if I can do it you can!

zolablue's picture
Submitted by zolablue on

Audra, you should be so very proud of yourself baking such a gorgeous loaf of challah.  It is really spectacular and I'm sure it was most delicious.

If anyone else is interested I found this video a while back of Maggie Glezer (yeah, I'm a Glezer Girl...LOL) braiding one:

Susan's picture
Submitted by Susan on

Very instructive. I love watching bread-making videos. Thanks!

Susan

audra36274's picture
Submitted by audra36274 on

She made it sound so easy.  I had the book in front of me on the four braid and still struggled. Maggie's was much more straightforward. The book I was looking at numbered the strands, and you tend to get confused, or at least I did. I have also seen pictures of loaves that are round and have a braided crown on the top. Is this Challah as well you think? It was fun to do, and looked harder than it sorta was. My friends OOHHHED about them, but it really wasn't that bad at all. BUT ANYWAY.... thanks for linking the video in. I hope every body else watches it also. I think it was Susan who referred to herself as "Susan who must be shown". I like that! It is so much easier to retain information, seeing it done. I enjoyed the video very much, thank you for sharing it.

Audra

Mini Oven's picture
Submitted by Mini Oven on

You know your're a breadbaker when... you find yourself braiding wet knee socks before you hang them up to dry.  :) Mini Oven