My first braided Challah by audra36274

audra36274's picture
April 21, 2007 - 5:33pm -- audra36274

Comments

browndog's picture
Submitted by browndog on

that's the sort of picture that makes me want to get my hands floury. You've obviously been on the baking fast track-- what is it with you 'new' bakers who churn out such great-looking stuff for your freshman efforts?

tattooedtonka's picture
Submitted by tattooedtonka on

That is a wonderful Challah.  Well done.

Tattooed Tonka

Paddyscake's picture
Submitted by Paddyscake on

I know this is going to sound silly, but I've never eaten Challah..what does it taste like?

audra36274's picture
Submitted by audra36274 on

How do I know I got this right? Sure its shiny, and braided OK, but how do I know if this is what Challah is supposed to taste like! There's no bakeries here! This may sound off the wall, but I live in the DEEP SOUTH and most around here haven't even ever heard of Challah. This tasted sorta like "regular bread", if that makes any sense, maybe almost like white bread. NOW, thank you for the pick me up, but being a former girl I can braid, but my consistency on bread is not always the same. I posted a photo of braid numero uno and no 3. Number 2 came out flat and all spread out. I have a lot to learn. Loaves that spread out too much instead of being shaped like they are supposed to , and then other times I make BRIX. But I'm learning. Maybe. Several of you have recommended some good reads. I have the BBA so far. But I have learned more by talking to, and listening to you all. Thank you, but I have nothing to brag about here. I make a very nice french bread ( not sour dough) and rolls that are what I think they should be, but it ends there. But I have ambitions to do better. And you all prove that it can be done. Look at all of you. This is quite an accomplished bunch of bakers here in the Fresh Loaf family. You are the ones that deserve a pat on the back. I posted the pictures only so ya'll would know I'm at least trying, not just asking dumb questions all the time. So thank you all for your patience's humble student,  Audra

browndog's picture
Submitted by browndog on

but really nice white bread, eggy and gives your teeth something to do. I made some last year due to a glut of eggs from the neighbor's hens celebrating spring, but it wasn't so pretty as Audra's.

tigressbakes's picture
Submitted by tigressbakes on

incredible!

i have never baked challah but you have inspired me to try it!

Susan's picture
Submitted by Susan on

You should be proud of that loaf, it's beautiful, lots of bling!

Susan

audra36274's picture
Submitted by audra36274 on

Ya'll are being too nice. I should have also included the pic of the loaf that failed miserably! We have also had hens a long time ago, and the eggs do pile up. If I ever decide to go that route again, at least it would be another outlet for the spare eggs. I mean how many angel food cakes can you eat!

tattooedtonka's picture
Submitted by tattooedtonka on

To try to help with the "whats it taste like part".

The Challah's my wife is used to is a soft crumb, with the crust being kind of chewy.  Sort of like a big pretzel chewy.

The crumb is not super airy like a ciabatta, but not as dense as a white bread. It is light to the palate, not heavy like getting into a big french loaf.

I know its not the best explanation, but maybe it will help a little.

TT

Paddyscake's picture
Submitted by Paddyscake on

I guess the best way to find out would be to bake some, right?  LOL I know that day old Challah is supposed to be great for french toast!

audra36274's picture
Submitted by audra36274 on

I know its not traditional, but we did the Alton Brown version out of the first loaf. Yummy! The outside was a little crunchy, awhile the inside remained soft and good. The purist may poo-poo the oven thing, but it sure was tasty!

ehanner's picture
Submitted by ehanner on

Your photo is beautiful and the bread looks like a painting, very nice.

I live in an area that sells this kind of bread and I've had it at party's a few times. Honestly I never paid much attention to what it tastes like. I thought it was an egg bread inside, yellow crumb also. I looked at a few recipes around the net and none call for egg yokes in the dough so I must be mistaken. I'm planning on making this next week for the first time. I hope mine turns out as nicely as yours. Thanks for the inspiration.

Eric