I just made 3 french baguettes, and scored them on top. To give a more indepth insight this is what I did:
- Made a poolish last night.
- Combined all ingredients about 16 hours later (this afternoon)
- Let it ferment for 1 hour, turned it, then ferment for another hour
- Divided and shaped it into rounds, bench rested it for about 15 minutes
- Then preshaped it into 3 baguettes
- Rest for about 35-40 mins
- Preheated oven during the final rest to 450
- Scored the bread, put in oven and steamed 3 times in the first 7 mins approx
During the third steam, I noticed the breads kinda 'tore' close to the bottom and not where the scoring was on top - any idea as to what may have led this to happen?
Update: It tastes great but - why the tear?
I've added pictures for a better view. Excuse the quality since it was taken from my phone!