Finally got to the store with all the usual flour choices. Picked up some 50/50 whole wheat/white wheat combo flour and a smaller organic rye. First loaf was without rye, and just used the same recipe as the last loaf, adding cinnamon and walnuts and craisins. Very tasty! Now I just need to find something to do boules on...
So we finally made it to Mexico! And after a one-month delay we found a wonderful house to rent with a big kitchen and granite countertops. I haven't made a run into the 'big city' to find actual bread flour at Costco yet, so I'm experimenting with a local flour, Espuma de Chapala. I also bought a vacuum packed brick of yeast.
In retrospect, I probably should have reduced the yeast in this one. Here is the dough at the beginning:
and here it is after only ONE HOUR:
That's a pretty solid doubling in just one hour. I don't think we're going to make the 4-hour recommendation.
Now researching workarounds for the 5000+ altitude and yeast, etc.
We just secured an apartment in Mexico, sight unseen. It's that cute! OK, we haven't seen it *in person* but we do have pictures. For example, the kitchen has a gas stove/oven with six burners. It's smaller than the typical American oven, so I think it will be more efficient. That, plus the mile-high altitude, should make for some interesting recipe adjustments.
So I finally got to the bottom of my bag of multigrain leftovers from the local mill (Barton Springs near Austin, TX). Just to get rid of it all, I shifted the flour mixture to 350g whole wheat, 150g bread flour (not counting the levain which counts for about 75g of bread flour). In order to attempt to compensate for this shift, I added about 2/3 teaspoon of active yeast to the mix. The dough rose overnight in the fridge and was a bit cold when I started the folding. I didn't have enough time to do the full folding routine, so things were just at room temperature by the time I did the final rest.
The good news is that the bread rose higher than normal, however pretty much no crumb. Very sandwich-bread. Still tasty though!
I have been doing pretty much the same loaf every week, so the pictures are a bit repetitive by now. Here are some samples during June and July. Texture is about the same on each. Fairly dense, didn't rise a lot. Flour was about 50/50 bread/whole wheat mix.
So last weekend I made two loaves, one for us and one for the daughter. The daughter's looked better, but smallish. Ours was way too heavy on the whole wheat, came out short and dense, but all still tasty.
This holiday weekend's batch is a hopefully more balanced bread/ww flour blend. The dough rose very much overnight!
Started like this:
Ended up like this this morning:
Going in the oven in about 2.5 hours. The usual sourdough with cherries/nuts, whole wheat version.