I was having so much Levain sate I thought I would amp it up a notch and make 4 boules. Ooh, it is getting wild in Casey's kitchen! Watch out the flour will be flying.
The 75% WW boule was not as successful as I had hoped. Well, I may have done too many folds because the dough was very stiff. The dough may have needed help with a lame as well. I suppose I am learning as I go. I may try to lame it next time I make this. I did a 12 hour retard. Of course, I could have done a 100% prior to retard in the fridge. The bread tastes nice and the wheat comes through with a hint of sour.
I allowed the above loaf to stay in the oven a little longer than necessary. However, I did get a nice tasting bread. I used my lame on the top to make sure it opened us since it was sticky. This is me practicing with the lame. how do people keep from slashing open every loaf to check the crumb? I guess I will have to wait till later.
My interior tasted wonderful. The exterior needed to be scraped and scrapped. I think that the loaves could have over proofed in the fridge.? there was so little rise, no ear at all. The loaves appeared quite brown before I removed the lids of my Dutch ovens. This is my first hybrid dough. The bread was very tacky when working with it. This is KF Pain De Campagne. The bread did stick to my bannetons. The joy of a novice not flouring enough!
My thought is, if i post only my success as I go along I will not be able to look at my progress. Also, this is a nice way for me to gain help for this learned community. Please advise I am bakingt his recipe till I conquer it.
This is my 4:30 am labor of love. I think this is what I hoped to accomplish. I hope to move onto Lavain. I have to gear myself up. I have to figure out what happens after Day 5. I feel like I mentally preparing for a marathon when I take in a new challenge.
I have made a few changes to the KW white poolish. I did a 10 hour preferment, lowered my yeast to I think 1/4. I should have written it down. And, I double bouled my boule. I think they were a bit tighter. They did rise higher. Thank you all! I did forget to S&F till the last 15-30 minutes prior to proofing. Oh the lessons! I have to say I love this! This community is so fantastic. I appreciate all the feedback and Support!
Is this from not having a tight enough ball? I tried to get it tighter but it was very sticky. I will try this again. waiting for that 12-14 hour preferment was so hard! I went for the 12 since my kitchen is 75 degrees.
This was a strong dough mix compared to other doughs I had been working with. My kitchen runs 75-78 degrees so I proofed my paves more quickly. I wonder if I am not over working my dough. Is this a standard crumb or did I over fold. I have no reference point.
This is the Ken Forkish recipe for Saturday bread. I was very intimidated by a boule, but I went for it. They are so gorgeous. I halved the recipe since I do not yet have the 12 qt Cambro. The recipe came out fine And the family loved it!
These baguettes were not as painful as they had been to make in the past. I handled them less and they did rise better than in the past. The crumb was okay,no txfarmer style. But, she has this down to a science. The boys ate these up.