The Fresh Loaf

News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts
  • Pin It
Lazy Loafer's picture
Lazy Loafer

Today I baked a couple loaves of the Overnight Whole Grain Sourdough from the Handbook recipe section. It certainly looks good, and smells divine! I'll cut it later (or tomorrow) to check the crumb, but happy so far! Bulk fermented overnight, then shaped and proofed for 2-3 hours in baskets. Onto peels, slashed and baked with steam on the granite slabs. The whole wheat starter smelled fairly sour and there's a good dollop of rye flour in the loaf so I'm interested to taste it!

Not a lot of oven spring but a decent burst at the scoring (and crispy looking ears!).

Yippee's picture

Mission accomplished!! Thank you to those of you who provided suggestions.  Couldn't have done it without your input.  Thank you!!!

uziel's picture

Pastry sheet making at home, please guide

March 22, 2016 - 5:13am -- uziel

Hello, recently I tried to make filo pastry/ puff pastry sheets at home and tried with margarine and butter and they came out ok. I see these small unorganized bakeries near my house and they make stuffed puff pastry. To save cost I am sure they do not use butter ad also when I eat them, I cannot taste butter. I too want to try at home the same procedure but have no idea what they use. Can I try to make puff pastry sheets with oil, will it work. Pleas guide as to what all I can use Thanx

hodgey1's picture

Cake icing

March 21, 2016 - 4:26pm -- hodgey1

hello forum. 

I had a bakery frosting yesterday that was amazing and I would really like to come close to reproducing it. As I am more of a savory bread baker than sweets baker, I need help. I will do my best to describe it and hope someone knows and could provide me with a recipe. It was on a white cake with some coconut grated on it but not a lot.

color: white, pretty white. Not yellow at all

texture: medium to medium firm while cold but not rock hard. definitely softer when at room temp

naura's picture

accidental yummy bread (and a newbie baker)

March 21, 2016 - 2:21pm -- naura

hello!  my name is mollie.  I am a newbie baker and I have only looked to find the perfect white bread and I have been pretty happy with it so far.

well I have three young kids so I made double the recipe, made three loaves of bread and froze two of those, and I froze the dough in three separate bags so I can bake them when I needed them.

ryanochsner's picture

Dialing in German pretzel recipe

March 21, 2016 - 12:15pm -- ryanochsner

Hello everyone. I've been researching the perfect Bavarian Pretzel recipe all week. I ran across this recipe here, which is a great recipe for Bavarian pretzels.

I am still dialing in a few things, and I would like to get some insight from fellow bakers.


1. Diastatic Malt Powder vs. Barley Malt Syrup (non-diatstatic):

Filomatic's picture

I finally achieved a proper, (if off-center) ear on one of the loaves, so I'm overjoyed.  I thought I made deep enough cuts into the round loaf, but apparently not.  I really enjoyed incorporating a soaker, and this dough was quite easy to work with.  The crumb seems good to me, but I welcome any criticisms.  It felt like cheating using both levain and commercial yeast, but I love the recipe.  Changes made from previous Hamelman Vermont SD bake:

1.  Use of Brod & Taylor proofing box.  It performed as expected.  I really like that the water pan allows you not to cover the dough; the dough surface did not form a skin and was not wet either.

2.  Longer final proof.  It occurred to me that that as I learn to shape, I'm probably going to degas more than do experienced bakers during the pre- and final shaping, so it's a fair assumption that I'll need longer final proofing times.  I realize, of course, the need to monitor and poke the dough.

3.  Deeper score on oval loaf, and I thought on round loaf.  Better use of tip of razor to get cleaner cuts. Question: any idea what I did wrong on the round loaf?

4.  Lava rocks separated into two iron griddles.  One was used for pre- and the other post-load steaming.  I poured more water into the first pan after the second steaming, but that timing seems to provide minimal steam.  Again, I have a Blue Star gas oven, and the steam vents out quickly, so I don't know if I'm getting proper steam. Question: The bread has good crust and color, and expansion on the oval loaf, but is there any sign of poor oven spring on that loaf?

Skibum's picture

Foreground is cinnamon, sugar chocolate babka. I enjoyed the last one so much it was time to bake another. I used 2 x 300 gram balls of dough to roll out the babka. The remaining 253 grams of pulla dough was used to roll out the blueberry cream cheese bread front right.  In behind is a ciabatta style loaf with 20% durham semolina which resulted in a really nice snap to the crust!

Well, I was on my way to the ski hill and then it started raining.

Happy baking! Ski

jackiec's picture

Tartine Country Bread density

March 21, 2016 - 11:19am -- jackiec

Hi all,

First time posting ....

I recently embarked on a wild yeast journey, making Tartine's country loaf for the first time this weekend. I've been baking challah using commercial yeast for years, but this was my first time using a starter, etc.

A friend of mine gave me her starter, and I fed it and left it on the counter for 12 hours and it failed the float test. I decided that my kitchen was too cold, so I put it in my oven, having turned it to 200 degress and then turning it off.


Subscribe to The Fresh Loaf RSS